Roaring 90's

As a kid, I found out who Will Clark was, due to being a Dodger fan and "The Thrill" routinely beat up the boys in blue. His intensity and no nonsense style of play drew me in, and I was a fast fan. By 1989, I was collecting cards for the first time and right off the bat, it was a focused collection. I have mildly collected other players, but never to the point of searching high and low for the items. 

My collecting days were brief as many other things became more fun, attractive and more important than baseball cards, so by 1992 collecting abruptly ended. By 1994 I was a dad, Will Clark had been dealt to the Texas Rangers and childhood was officially over for me in that regard. 

Though I continued to follow Will Clarks playing career, I did not pursue further sports card collecting and traded all my cards away for comics, but decided to keep The Clark Collection after some hard thought and an actual "You sure you wanna get rid of those?" from my good friend Jeremy, whom I made the trade with. 

After a long time of not doing any collecting or expanding on The Clark Collection, I decided in 2016 to get back in. I found out very quickly how many companies were out there and why the industry collapsed. For me in 2016 though, this was great because a whole new world opened up regarding all the options I had available to grow my collection.


This 1995 Score's "Summit" Edition is a perfect example of the shimmery, holographic, sparkly, every company trying to out do one another type card of the era. This is not a complaint from me, just more of an observation of why the industry went the way it went, Too many options, too many prints made. Zero value in that... 

My collecting habits differ from the next person, but my intentions once back in "The Game" was to kind of pick up where I left off. That being when I had no money and had to collect on a budget. Since Im not into graded cards, that made the budget part a realistic thing. Another thing that helped was Will Clark not being a Hall of fame player. His career began with that trajectory, but injuries and age take their toll on being on the field to make those long term career numbers, which in turn make his card prices a bargain for collecting.

Will Clark was great as a Texas Ranger. He was signed on to be the team leader and lead the team to its first postseason in team history. 

Please visit my website at billcormalisjr.com and https://www.instagram.com/modernbaseballart/ for art and other baseball related topics!





 

Comments

Popular Posts